Sunday, January 11, 2009
Digg It! Stumble Facebook Delicious Technorati Tweet!

Creative Writing 101: The Benefits of Developing Your Poetic Skills

by Michele Cameron Drew

Poetry is an artform. It is designed to stretch the mind's eye, touch the heart and entrench the senses... This article by Michele Cameron Drew was inspired by the recently published "Making Your Poetry Better" by Stephanie Moore and by lazy poets everywhere.


This desire to inspire
Haunts me everyday
Often as of late
To share a better way...


Photo Courtesy of rec_marc and SXC


No Specifics

Let me start by saying that I am not attacking or surveying anyone in particular. Although my opinions may be unpopular, they are my opinions and they encompass the internet, not just Triond writers. This is my 4th article on this subject(the prior three being tossed for fear of offending someone) and perhaps I will finally send one to publication.

About Me

Since childhood I have been expressing myself through the arts. Second only to music, writing to me is an extension of my soul. Writing poetry to me is akin to dreaming out loud on paper. I eat, sleep and breathe verse. Being a somewhat accomplished, published and awarded poet who has been writing for more than 30 years, I feel quite confident with speaking my mind on this subject. I have written poetry in many forms and have an eclectic style. I was raised on the classics in all genres of artistic expression, so my opinions may be slightly biased, but I still develop my skills every day and I will continue to develop and grow them until I take my last living breath on Earth.

Disturbed

I often find it disturbing to read the myriad of bad poetry(or not so good poetry) that is displayed on the internet, that with just a touch of skill could be amazing and beautiful. It takes much away from the serious poet. People just don't seem to read much new poetry anymore. I can understand why. Personally, I often avoid it myself now, which is very sad considering that poetry is my forte. But, I find it difficult to find a gem in a deep ocean of granite, without a jack hammer. Sifting through the works of the masses has become a tiring process. I more often find myself pulling up some Shakespeare, Poe, Longfellow, Blake, Dickinson, Sandberg, Byrnes, Frost, Tennyson, the Brownings, Marlowe, Whitman or other classic poet or find some of my favorite contemporary writers and read their works, hoping for something with depth and beauty.








0 comments:

Post a Comment